The A to Z of Natural Beauty is a series where we highlight natural beauty ingredients and give you the lowdown on why they’re just so good. In this edition, we highlight beeswax and why it’s a natural beauty favourite.
Alternative names: Beeswax, Cera Alba
Derived from bee secretions, beeswax has been recorded in use for thousands of years, and it’s relevance to natural beauty is still popular today.
- Beeswax locks in hydration and forms a protective film over the skin. It is a humectant, meaning it attracts water. This is why you’ll find beeswax as an ingredient for natural lip balms because it retains moisture.
- It also maintains the skin’s elasticity and suppleness because it’s rich in Vitamin A.
- Beeswax protects the skin against harsh environmental elements.
- Evaluation of Beeswax Influence on Physical Properties of Lipstick Using Instrumental and Sensory Methods: Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Volume 2016, Article ID 3816460, 8 pages
- An Atlas of Natural Beauty
- Beeswax: uses and trade: Bee Product Science, 2009